Saturday, June 23, 2007

On the topic of reading in the academy



Every academic laments how little they have time to read. It's a bitter irony of the corporate-white-tower: academics are supposed to produce endless quantities of "knowledge" but seldom have time to learn. This begs the question: 'produce knowledge for whom?' Certainly not the public--that's out. That would be beneath us, ahem, ahem.

Personally, I find that reading good theory best stimulates my own knowledge production.

And while I've vastly exceeded my meager goal of reading an article or chapter a week, I'm not sure that this is enough. The goal is falsely attained by dint of reading schlock for a particular article. Such scavenging and referencing hardly constitutes genuine reflection. Thus, I think my own goal has to recenter on more difficult, more powerful pieces of theory.

No comments: