Friday, June 15, 2007

Assessing progress


Part of the task of a goal-directed writer is surely in knowing what, exactly, is progress. I can see that the third feminist-punk piece has given way to a fourth. Like a rhizome, this material keeps generating new lifeforms. There is merit, for sure, in multiplying my publications. This will load up the CV, and it will point me towards a manuscript.

There is the advice of several reasoned voices, however, which say that I ought to get one or two essays published in a premier journal: they argue that premium quality pieces lead to premium quality jobs. So I worry that these punk pieces are not getting me where I need to go. Still, I am determined to wrap them up and move on. The third grows close to completion, even as the fourth develops nicely. \

Filing continues apace, and it lends to some peace of mind as well. Everything else in life seems to be well organized and functioning smoothly.

No comments: